Friday, January 25, 2008

music for the masses

So, I'm totally a music freak. This is no secret. What I'm not is any sort of scene-y hipster, who keeps up with the latest, most edgy stuff. I don't understand Animal Collective. Even more accessible stuff is sometimes beyond me. For years and years I almost, but didn't quite embrace Modest Mouse. I have no patience for most prog-rock and anything remotely jam-bandy makes me crazy. So I know what I like, and I like pop music. Like, a lot.

LCD Soundsystem made my best-of list and I consider them extremely listenable. So I was amused by this post, defending Sound of Silver from its inclusion on a list of "10 Unlistenable Albums Lying Hipsters Put on Year-End Lists to Appear Cool." These lists are always interesting to me because I usually like one or two of the bands included (see also: Grizzly Bear, The Knife). Whatever. It's funny. And what do I know? After all, I'm currently listening to Sir Mix-a-lot's "My Posse's on Broadway." My last.fm profile is so weird.

What I really need right now is something new to listen to. The new Interpol is in my library requests, so there's that.

No comments: