Tuesday, December 08, 2009

music box

On a cold, cold night like this, I figure some music will warm us all up a bit, so here's one of my rare mp3 posts.

Music is my real first love, I think. We all have a soundtrack to our lives and certain songs bring back crystal-clear memories of specific times and places. Sometimes it's unexpected, like when I heard Great White's "Wasted Rock Ranger," and suddenly flashed back to the summer of 1989 in Birch Bay, listening to the tape over and over again with Jamie, trying to decipher the lyrics. I'm not sure what the fascination was, to be honest, but we were in a rock phase that year for sure. We even went to our first big concert that year: Def Leppard!

Def Leppard-Pour Some Sugar On Me

Other songs and artists are always associated with certain people. SJ's music is Dub Narcotic Soundsystem, 50 Cent, Cake, and Justin Timberlake. Sorry, friend, but it's true. This stuff reminds me of driving around in the Jetta, hooch from a paper sack, storming out, grad school in general, writing papers, and cutting up 15 lbs of cheese.

Dub Narcotic Soundsystem-Monkey Hips and Rice
Jay-Z-99 Problems

I will always associate Ken Stringfellow's first full-length solo album and Cat Power's Covers Record with an ex-boyfriend. I gave him the former and he gave me the latter, and I don't know if we ever listened to anything else when we were together.

Ken Stringfellow-Reveal Love
Cat Power-Sea of Love

Other songs are wonderful because they remind me of home. Some are named for Seattle personalities, others make local references that make me smile, and all are from artists I love for one reason or another. This little selection reminds me of different periods of my life: high school, the U-District years, the Capitol Hill Years, and lastly, the late 90s when I went back to finish college.

Flop-Julie Francavilla
Ondine-Yesterday
Heather Duby-You Loved Me
United State of Electronica-Emerald City

No comments: