Monday, June 30, 2008

summer nights

I can't believe a week passed with no comment from me here. How unlike me! Honestly, it's hard to remember the last week. I know I went to work and got some stuff done, but after that, things start to get a little hazy. Oh, I saw the play last week. And a softball game. Other than that, I'm a blank.

The weekend is more in focus. Today, I was trying to upload my pictures from the weekend, and by sheer stupidity, disconnected my camera from the computer before they actually uploaded and proceeded to delete the entire shebang. I am very annoyed, because I had some nice ones of my friends from Friday night.

Saturday was more chill. I mostly did some laundry around the house while Rick worked on a project in the garage. Then after he left, I took a nap. It was a good nap. Then, Rick and Peter came over and I made very tasty tacos and we all rode our bikes to Bud's Bar for a couple of drinks. The only problem was the ride home. See, I live in a very dark and semi-creepy part of town, while the guys live in the main part of town. They didn't want me to take the lonely dirt trail under the overpass by myself (and neither did I), so I was convinced to ride on the main road. It sucked because I couldn't see anything and was afraid I'd be hit by a car or simply drive off the road and fall into a ditch, not to be found until morning. I'm guessing I won't be doing any more nighttime biking unless I move to town. Scary.

On Sunday, I slept in. After I got up and messed around the house a bit, I rode my bike to Rick's. He drove Peter and me, and the boys' bikes to Curt Gowdy for the day. The guys mountain biked and I hiked around the park. I had a better time than I thought I would. Hiking alone has never appealed to me for a few reasons. First, I grew up hearing about people getting lost or injured at least once a week during the summer. Second, I'm a woman and have been indoctrinated by society to believe that bad things happen to women who do anything alone. And third, where I'm from, people do get robbed/raped/killed while hiking. Not all the time, but it does happen.

But I wasn't freaked out to be alone this time. I think having the guys there made the difference. They weren't right with me, but they knew where I was planning to be and about how long it would be until I was done. I'm not saying I'm ready to go it alone, but I'd do this kind of thing again. And Rick's planning to get people together to climb Medicine Bow peak in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure I'm up to it, but I want to be in the right frame of mind to try.

No comments: