Monday, August 17, 2009

is this turning into a food blog?

Tonight, I took a look in the cupboard and fridge and decided to make chili, which morphed into a chicken chili tortilla soup, based on what I had on hand. You guys, it's so good!

chicken chili tortilla soup
I spiced it with a ton of chili powder, basil, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and garlic powder. It has two cans of stewed tomatoes and a big can of kidney beans, chopped up chicken breasts, and some water. The contributions from the farm share are two white onions and corn. I like to add the tortillas to each serving individually, so they don't get too soggy and floppy, and I top it with a bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. This will keep me happy for a few days.

Last night, I baked up some muffins using that zucchini. There was just enough for a batch, and I added in raisins, dried cranberries, and chopped walnuts. I made both regular and mini muffins (I have an aversion to the jumbo muffins).

zucchini muffins with dried fruit and walnuts

They're a good breakfast and are so tasty warmed up with butter!

zucchini muffins with dried fruit and walnuts

2 comments:

jess said...

That tortilla soup looks delicious!! As do the muffins! I think you have inspired me to do some cooking, I've been so bad lately, going out for almost every meal, bad habit.

Kaijsa said...

Cooking is easy when you're too broke to eat out!