Monday, May 01, 2006

Reading Obsessed

I haven't had much to report lately. Work is going well. I should soon know who will be my new supervisor. I'm going to a teaching colloquium next month, which unfortunately coincides with a teleconference on information literacy for at-risk students. The common text for the colloquium is Ken Bain's What the Best College Teachers Do. I haven't started it yet because I'm trying to read all the journal articles I have printed out and in my email. My reach always seems to exceed my grasp when in comes to professional literature. I know I can't read it all, but I keep trying.

Also, we just met with the architects who are planning our new library building. The new facility will be wonderful, but it's hard to get too excited about it yet. I'll be in my little windowless office for another two or three years so I'm trying not to think about the new space or my old office too much, especially now that the weather's threatening to get nicer.

What else? My latest musical obsession is Jon Auer's new album, Songs From the Year of Our Demise. It's really good; ignore the nonsensical review in last week's Stranger. It made the top ten at the Big Takeover several times, which rules. I'm also trying to get through my huge stack of unread books. The only way I can justify paying to ship 20 boxes of books is to make sure I read them all. I'm about of a third of the way through Gilead, and it's so good. I'm trying to read it slowly because it's not long and Marilynn Robinson has written only one other novel.

My latest BlogHer post is about books, too. If you're inclined, check it out.

No comments: