Monday, June 26, 2006

Music makes the people come together

I saw this at Gwen World. I thought it was a good opportunity to make a plug for Pandora, which I've been listening to at work. It seems to know me pretty well after three weeks of telling it what I do and don't like.

The Rules:
Step 1: Put your iPod/MP3 player or iTunes on random. I'm using Pandora instead.
Step 2: Post the first line(s) from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.
Step 3: Post it on your blog and let everyone guess what song and artist the lines come from.
Step 4: Update the list with the song title when someone guesses correctly. (I will identify any unguessed songs by Monday.)
Step 5: Make your guesses by leaving a comment. You have to identify both title and artist. No fair Googling!


Here goes:
1. Anything you want/Everything you need
2. I've been lying here so lonely/
I've been wishing you would telephone me
3. I've seen the future, I can't afford it/Tell me the truth sir, someone just bought it
4. I know just what to say/It's just a game I play
5.
There's more besides joyrides/A little house in the countryside
6. Flying, show me how it feels/As dreams go sinking clouds that must be real
7. I'll call you sister Carrie but I'll never say it/Mute it to a whisper
8. You had something to hide/Should have hidden it shouldn't you
9. I walked across an empty land/I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
10. Squeaky swings and tall grass/The longest shadows ever cast
11. While you make pretty speeches/I'm being cut to shreds
12. I know you didn't mean it and you're sorry that i left/I'll go right on pretending i've got nothing to regret
13. Only this (moment)/Holds us (together)
14. Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
15. It's three o'clock in the morning/Or maybe it's four
16. Where's the harm in voicing your doubt/You'll find me in the lavatory
17. Our unsleepable friend/Gets the message on an ill-wind
18. Nothing's gonna save you now/No one's gonna change you now
19. I want to kill this man but he turned around and ran/I'll kill him with karate that I learned in Japan
20. When I was young and full of grace and spirited--a rattlesnake/When I was young and fever fell my spirit, I will not tell

That's it. I don't know if my handful of readers will comment, but do feel free to make guesses.

4 comments:

Kim said...

The first one sounds like Roy Orbison, but somehow I doubt it is. #15 is Cake--for shizzle, though I don't know the name of the song. And I'd place money on the fact that none of these lines belong to Cyndi Lauper songs. Yep.

Gwen said...

8. Depeche Mode's Policy of Truth

Sj said...

Ah, Sister Carrie. Hearty heart heart!

Anonymous said...

I got #3 and #7, ABC (but not Another Bad Creation) How To Be a Millionare, and Posies Solar Sister. I did this for fun with ITunes, quite a mix of music! Holla and let me know about the NDF. Peace! -V$