Sunday, April 06, 2008

more firsts

I was just saying that I've done a lot of things for the first time lately. Friday it was going to Saratoga to the hot springs. Rick and I went over after work, and it was a nice way to end the week. We ran into some friends of his while we were soaking (boiling) in the pool, which was a pleasant surprise. The water was hotter than I expected, but it didn't make me as tired as I thought it would. As a bonus, long car trips are fun, especially with a friend. I like the time and space to just talk about what's going on, both in our lives and in our heads.

Another first for me this weekend was snowshoeing. I don't do a lot of outdoorsy stuff because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't have the right clothes or any gear. But Melissa convinced me to give it a shot this afternoon, and I'm glad I did. She and the others were skiing while I was on snowshoes and it worked out nicely. I always underestimate myself, thinking I'll never be able to keep up or that I'll suck at that kind of thing. It felt great to be outside in the snow for a couple of hours, working hard enough that I was pretty hot and sweaty. I'm pleasantly sore in a couple of places now and wondering if I'll manage to get out and try it all again soon. I hope so.

No comments: