Friday, July 04, 2008

I'm meming again

I saw this at Pop Culture Librarian, and decided to do it. She said I should, so I did. Not that she was talking to me specifically. Anyway.

1. Who was your first prom date?

I never went to the prom. Sophomore year, it wasn't really on my radar. A senior in my drama class asked me, but I wasn't into him or the idea of buying an expensive dress. Then junior and senior year, prom was the same weekend as regionals for crew, so I was out of town and it wasn't an option. And truthfully, I have no idea who I might have gone with even if I was around.

2. Do you still talk to your first love?

Depends on what you mean by first love. First crush? No. First boyfriend? No. First real, adult love? Yeah.

3. What was your first alcoholic drink?

Besides sneaking sips of beer as a little kid, which I've been told I loved to do, I think my first drink was Boone's Farm Wild Island. Classy! The first time I was ever drunk, it was on vodka shots (gross) that cost $1 Canadian at a dance club in Vancouver B.C. when I was 19 and could drink up there legally.

4. What was your first job?

I was a very industrious babysitter as a pre-teen and teen, and made enough money to buy all sorts of ill-conceived fashions. The first job that required W-2s and all that was in the commissary of a summer camp during high school. The bummer about that job was that I crashed my parents' mini-van and everything I earned the whole summer went to pay for the deductable.

5. What was your first car?

I had a 1989 Chevy Cavalier in maroon.

6. Who was the first person to text you today?

Addie.

7. Who is the first person you thought of this morning?

See number 2.

8. Who was your first grade teacher?

Mrs. Hansen at Sunnyside Elementary. She was pretty nice, but I don't remember too much from that year. I split the year between two elementary schools, but I don't remember who my teacher was at Garfield. That year's a blur.

9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane?

It must have been the trip to New York when I was almost two. I have no memory of that trip, but I drowned in a lake and had to be revived. I do remember the drowning nightmares that followed for many years afterward.

10. Who was your first best friend, and are you still friends with him/her?

I guess I had a best friend of sorts as a very small kid, but the first best friend I remember is Amy. We met in elementary school and took ballet classes together for ages. We are still friends, even though we don't talk that often. She's a great person and has a nice husband and three kids. I really admire her.

11. What was your first sport played?

Well, I danced from age two on. Mostly ballet, some tap and jazz, and modern from about age 11 until I quit. The first team sport I did was swimming, but only for a year. Then I did crew for the rest of high school.

12. Where was your first sleepover?

Who knows? My friends and I were always having sleepovers and slumber parties.

13. Who was the first person you talked to today?

Besides myself? The barista who made my latte.

14. Whose wedding were you in the first time?

Amy's, the same Amy who was my first best friend. I was her maid of honor, and her sisters and the groom's sister were bridesmaids. I'm not a huge wedding person, but it was really special to be part of Amy's, because she means so much to me, and I was really happy she was marrying Matt.

15. What was the first thing you did this morning?

Probably rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Who can remember? The first 30 minutes of any given day, I'm totally zoned out.

16. What was the first concert you ever went to?

Def Leppard, on the Hysteria tour, at the Tacoma Dome. Lasers, in the round, with L.A. Guns openining up. Aww, yeah. My mom and my friend Jamie's mom took us and two friends. It was on a school night, we were in ninth grade, and we gleefully wore our t-shirts to school the next day, and were totally exhausted.

17. What was your first tattoo or piercing?

No tattoos. I got my ears pierced when I was five or six--somewhere around there. I had gold, heart-shaped studs.

18. What was the first foreign country you went to?

I can't really count Canada, since I grew up so close and we went to British Columbia like once a year, at least. So I have to say Sweden. We flew through the Netherlands first, but being in the airport doesn't really count.

19. What was your first run-in with the law?

Other than my penchant for speeding tickets, I'm pretty law-abiding. But when I was 14, I did run into a manhunt for a guy who killed somebody near my house. It was the middle of the night, and I had sneaked out of my house alone and was heading up the highway to a boy's house, where many teenagers congregated because of a lack of parental supervision. My regular sneaking-out accomplice lived on the same block, and was supposed to already be there.

So when I saw the roadblock and the cops, I geniusly decided to evade detection by going into the woods. Not a minute later, several men were yelling "freeze!" and shining lights on me. Scared shitless, I froze. They had guns pointed at me! Then, one of them said, all disgusted, "it's a little girl." They were pissed. Evidentally, my white t-shirt, cut-off jeans, and long, blond ponytail matched the description of the perp. Upon questioning, I said I was headed to my friends' house up the street. The police were busy and let me go.

But I didn't get off totally free. No. When I knocked on the basement door, the boy's DAD answered it. Busted! He said he already caught my friend and sent her home, and he said he was going to drive me and three other boys home. He took me home first, but decided not to wake up my parents and just let me sneak back in. In retrospect, that wasn't the best parenting move, since I learned nothing. Well, I never sneaked out alone again, but I still did when I had my accomplice over.

20. When was your first detention?

In sixth grade, I got Saturday school detention for fighting. A boy, with whom I shared mutual hate, flipped up my skirt in the hall when I was at my locker. My response was to grab him, slam him against a locker, and punch him in the face a few times. He didn't get a chance to hit back. We were apprehended by a big old coach, who left bruises on my upper arm from his meaty fist as he dragged me to the principal's office. The boy and I both got detention, and he never got over his beat-down. We didn't have another class together until senior year of high school, and he refused to sit next to me, as the alphabetical chart had placed us. When I told him to get over it, his response was, "never!" Ha.

21. What was the first state you lived in?

Washington. Born and raised. I lived in three different counties, but never lived outside the state until I moved to Wyoming.

22. Who was the first person to break your heart?

See number 2.

23. Who was your first roommate?

Jamie. We shared a studio apartment in the U District, but she really lived with her boyfriend. I had the place to myself. Then we got a really beautiful apartment on Capitol Hill and did live together for real. She's the only roommate I've ever had.

24. Where did you go on your first limo ride?

Limo ride? I think some girlfriends and I had a limo one New Year's, but that might have been a town car. I've ridden in lots of town cars. My parents and I got a limo a few years ago when we took the dinner train.

So, that's it.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Mmm... Canadian dance clubs!

Kaijsa, thanks so much for posting comments on the ol' Oxford blog! Thanks for reading and for saying hi! XO!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaijsa,

You are indeed slightly nutz for liking winding balls by hand. (Yeah, that sentence made me giggle.)

Love reading this post about your childhood shenanigans!

Hope you are doing well - Chris