Monday, February 16, 2009

new music Monday

Tonight I bought three new CDs. When I was still in the 206, I used to go to Sonic Boom and buy a stack of new stuff at least once a month. They always have the smokin' deals on new releases and they have everything I would want. Since I've moved here, I never buy music in stores. Actually, I get a lot of music from the library and by occasionally ordering from S.B. online.

But tonight, I was in Hastings and wandered to the music section. A sign proclaiming "Hot and New" caught my eye. I guess I thought the selection would be pretty middle of the road, but I was surprised to see some stuff I've been meaning to check out and all of it was on sale for $8.99 or $10.99. Nice. My haul: Ben Kweller, Changing Horses; Andrew Bird, Noble Beast; and Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavillion. I will report back when I've had a chance to give them more attention.

One thing I will note is that all of these albums are in those now-ubiquitous all-paper cases. I like the idea behind these and I rightfully hate fragile plastic jewel cases, but the paper ones are so freaking annoying. Either the CD falls out constantly or is ridiculously hard to remove at all. Why, in this age of packaging and marketing, can we not have a useful holder for compact disks?

Andrew Bird is playing the Bluebird in Denver at the end of the month, and if I fall in love with this record, I'm going to want to go. I'm already planning to go to the Railbenders show the next day, so it could get tiring and crazy for me. A tiny bit of sadness: Junior Boys are coming this weekend and I can't go. My mom's coming to town and it would totally not be nice to bail on her to go to Denver for a show. But hey, my mom's coming for a visit, which should be really nice.

No comments: