Monday, August 22, 2005

My family had a big picnic in the park today. Whenever we get together, it's always this gigantic undertaking, mostly because my mother loves to entertain. What could have been a simple potluck instead involved a pickup truck full of gear (including a big gas grill and a tent). I totally inherited the entertaining gene, but I had so much going on this weekend that I was kind of dreading spending the whole day at the picnic instead of packing, prepping, and resting. However, the event was better than I had anticipated because some of my favorite friends came and brought their adorable children. Trying to explain to my friends who was related to me and how was difficult, but amusing. Witness:

Grad School BFF: Who is that little girl?
Halo: She's my dad's brother's ex-wife's husband's great-granddaughter. Seriously.
GSBFF: Whoah. Who's that guy talking to MiniThug?
Halo: Beats me.
Childhood BFF: Who's MiniThug?
Halo, to GSBFF: You explain.

Anyway, I had a nice time and it was fun to introdude GSBFF to CBFF. They've both heard all about one another from me for the past three years, so I was pleased to see them hit it off.

No comments: