Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A week ago today, I left New Orleans. I had been interviewing for a job at a university on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain, which we all know has flooded the city. I remember thinking as I was driven to the airport that I regretted not having the time to take any photos while I was there and that if I got the job, I'd take some when I came back to find a place to live. Now nobody has a place to live. Everything has been destroyed. I hope the people I met at UNO last week are safe.

Being there so recently makes this whole thing so strange. The smell and heat of the city are fresh in my mind and I can only imagine how hard it is to survive there without electricity or shelter. The only thing I could think of to help those affected was to donate to the American Red Cross. They take donations as small as $5.00 and need all the help they can get.

No comments: