Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The phone interview seemed to go well. They called me yesterday to set up an on-campus interview. I fly out on Monday, so things are moving quickly. Now I need to set aside some time to prep my presentation. And I have another phone interview tomorrow morning. This is exciting, but managing everything I have to do is keeping me from getting too giddy. Now I just have to figure out how to avoid melting away in my suit. It's hard to look professional in the summer, and the really conservative look isn't for me.

As the job search speeds up, I still have to focus on the work I already have. The project I'm working on right now is pretty challenging. I've always liked working independently, but my MLIS program taught me how great it can be to work in teams. And the parts of my job I like best (besides teaching) are the collaborative projects and discussions we have. So its kind of strange to be working separately from the rest of the group. I love what I'm doing, though, and I'm learning more about collections, planning, staffing, and analysis than I could without hands-on experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read and laughed out loud (while cringing) at the "conservative look" article. Jeebus H. Keerist. I really can't imagine you, or anyone with anything like a personal sense of style, following those dicta. I mean... the whole point of it seemed to be that one ought not to stand out in a crowd. WTF? We're cybrarians, dammit, not clones!

Good luck with your interviews!

Kaijsa said...

Haha. I really do think that our profession is more relaxed than others about what professional attire should be. That said, it is a struggle to wear a suit and maintain my own personal style. Pantyhose are the devil's handiwork.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm really looking forward to the trip.