Monday, January 12, 2009

boxing up

ornaments
I finally put away my Christmas stuff, what little I have. This year, I actually put up a tree and bought some multicolored balls and lights to put on it. The only things I already had were some lights I didn't realize I had before going shopping, literally three (3) random ornaments (an icicle, a glittery ball, and a tiny Bert from Sesame Street), and a beautiful tree skirt my mother made--it's strip quilted in a spiral pattern. I also have the ornaments pictured above.

They're Margaret Furlongs. Back in high school and for a few years afterwords, I really loved these. My mom would buy them for me for birthdays, Christmas, and other occasions, and my best friend and I gave them to each other, too. I still really like them, even though I've never really been into angels. It's the shell theme and the all-white porcelain, I think. They're pretty, and though the themes are religious, I never really think of them that way. The last two I remember getting are both from 2000: the Millennium Angel and the National Celebration Angel. I think the latter was to commemorate the G.W. Bush inauguration, but I chose to ignore that fact. So, it's been a while since I bought or received any of these. Maybe I'll pick up a couple more if I see them around and do an all-white tree next year. Who knows?

4 comments:

jess said...

I have an ornament like that as well!! Mary from Hilton's gave it to me one Christmas while I worked there when I was in highschool!! Small world....

Kaijsa said...

We sold them at Hilton for a while, and a couple of mine have those unmistakable price tags on them. One of my little ones is from Mary, too. Probably from the same year as yours, when you were the "delivery boy." I still think of Gertrude S. calling you that sometimes.

jess said...

Ha! I love it. Delivery boy. Those were the good old days. You, me, Mel, and Elizabeth working at Hilton's. Iced mochas for days. And that one pharmacist who was also a naturopath that would scrap her toe fungus in her tea. Good stuff.

Kaijsa said...

Thanks for reviving that gruesome memory! Those really were the days!