Tuesday, January 13, 2009

couch potato

In an effort to avoid working on an article that's close to deadline, I pretended to tidy up my tv stand area. I have a heap of old videotapes and popped one into the machine. It was a few episodes of Gilmore Girls from during winter of 2000-2001. Richard just had his heart attack during Christmas dinner, FYI. I used to record them on my Tivo (remind me to one day tell the story of how I won my first Tivo in a writing contest) and then for some reason, archive them on video. Weird.

The show is great and stands the test of time pretty well. But what I can't believe are the ads. The WB showed teasers for shows I had completely forgot about or didn't even know existed in the first place. And there were ads for products and services for things that don't exist anymore. Jamie Lee Curtis was in a spot for VoiceStream, which I understand to be a wireless phone service. And do they make Herbal Essences shampoo anymore? Those commercials were terrible. But GG is amazing. The music alone is crazy: XTC, Claudine Longet, Wilco, The Cure, Big Star, Beck, Grant Lee Phillips, Granddaddy, Elvis Costello, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, Brian Jonestown Massacre...clearly the show was made for me.

Oh, I almost forgot: Rory has a pager in season one.

Unrelated randomness, in linky format:
I hate Dora's new hairdo.
Karl Rove claims Bush is a big old bookworm.
Celebrities continue giving their kids stupid names.
Seattle might lose its best newspaper, and that sucks.

3 comments:

Librarian Girl said...

That's funny- my friends and I were just talking about how there are not really any shows we would take the time to re-watch all over again for a second time on dvd, and my one caveat was GG. I thought they would hold up well. This post makes me want to do that even more...

Kaijsa said...

They really do hold up. The one warning I have is that it's virtually impossible to watch just one episode at a time.

jess said...

I loved (and still love) Gilmore Girls! Such a great show, I miss it. I want to buy the entire season on DVD, but the packaging on the whole season box set looks like one of those old school Barbie doll cases, barf.

Thanks for reminding me what an awesome show GG is!