Thursday, January 01, 2009

year end

Found this end of the year meme at the Pop Culture Librarian. Here's my take.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?

I feel like most of what I did this year was different. I guess I'd never gone ice skating, done a headstand, gone snowshoeing, presented solo at a conference, or watched The Wire until this year.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Did I make any resolutions last year? I don't think so, but I did manage to continue being more active and spending more time outdoors. Resolutions seem like a lot of pressure, but I have plenty of plans. I'm going to start cross-country skiing in next week!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Holly had twin girls! We aren't in close touch these days, but I'm so happy for her.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, and I feel grateful for that.

5. What countries did you visit?
I'm such a globetrotter that I visited Canada and saw some more of the US.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
There are all kinds of things to want, but I have most of what I need. There are two things I would really like, but I'm keeping them to myself.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory?
January 20th was Rick's 30th birthday party and the day I met Peter. I can't believe it's only been a year and he's one of my best friends. Craig and Shannon got married on June 14th. August 2nd was the day of Rick's and my amazing road trip vacation. I spent a magical day at Aspen Alley with friends on September 27th. On November 4th, we elected our next president, one with promise. December 19th was special.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I made some amazing friends.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't think I had one.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was only sick once in 2008, and it wasn't too bad.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
For myself, a new showerhead. I also managed to buy some pretty kick-ass gifts, too.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Behavior? I think there was plenty of good behavior, but I don't know what merits celebrating. I guess all my people were pretty awesome this year and deserve a party.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
So many people, but luckily for me, nobody among my friends or family.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Ugh, what a terrible question. Obviously most of my money went to bills, but I most of my discretionary income went to eating out too often.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The presidential election.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Wagon Wheel.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Mostly the same. Maybe a tiny bit happier, tempered by the realization three of my friends are moving away.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? The same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Everything great in my life.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Blaming myself for things.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it with my family, back home in the 206.

21 is missing. Time to take a breather...

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell down and broke myself in 2007 and keep doing it over and over.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
All my tv comes from the internet and DVDs. I enjoyed Gossip Girl, The Wire, and How I met Your Mother.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.

26. What was the best book you read?
As Librarian Girl said, this question is too hard for a librarian. I read several books, but really loved Bridge of Sighs and Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
These were in short supply this year because I kept listening to old stuff. I got into Cloud Cult and Les Savy Fav.

28. What did you want and get?
An enameled cast-iron dutch oven.

29. What did you want and not get?
Ugh, let's not go into it.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Films! I need to write a whole post just on films. So, I can't pick one. Some goodies: Mongol, Tell No One, and Juno (yes, I liked it). I'm forgetting good stuff.

31. What did you do on your birthday?
I had a dinner party at Rick's. We cooked Thai food and he made me a tasty chocolate zucchini cake. Everybody drank wine and Peter hilariously demonstrated yoga poses. It was also pouring down snow! Photos!

32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
It's always about people. It would have been great to spend more time with the friends and family I love.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I basically just bought the cheapest stuff that fit, then did the same thing the next month when I was a different size.

34. What kept you sane?
Not a what, a who. Or plural who. Peter, specifically, but friends in general.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
You know, I really don't care that much about celebrities. I adore certain musicians, but for their music, not as people.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
It's hard to top Prop 8.

37. Who did you miss?
My friends. My family.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I can't call one person the best. I met several lovely people this year.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
I'm still learning it.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

It comes apart
The way it does in bad films
Except in parts
When the moral kicks in

If you do this, let me know because I'd love to hear what you have to say.

1 comment:

Librarian Girl said...

Awesome! I love reading these. Happy new year!